The Certificate in East Asian Studies for College of Engineering and Architecture Majors requires a total of 17 credit hours, including at least 6 hours of upper-division course work, and is open to any declared College of Engineering and Architecture undergraduate major in good standing.
Required Course Work
- Choose one language proficiency option from:
- CHINESE 101 and 102
- JAPANESE 101 and 102
- KOREAN 101 and 102
- Other East Asian language available through study abroad
- ASIA/HISTORY 479: History of East Asian Economic Development Since 1945
- Choose two courses from:
- ASIA/CHINESE/HUMANITY 120: Traditional Chinese Culture
- ASIA/CHINESE 121: Modern Chinese Culture [HUM]
- ASIA 122/JAPANESE 120: Traditional Japanese Culture [DIVR]
- ASIA/JAPANESE 123: Modern Japanese Culture [HUM]
- ASIA/HISTORY 275: Introduction to East Asian Culture [DIVR]
- ASIA/PHIL 315: Philosophies and Religions of China and Japan [HUM] [M]
- ASIA/CHINESE/HUMANITY/JAPANESE 320: Issues in East Asian Ethics [DIVR] [M]
- ASIA/CHINESE/JAPANESE 321: Gender and Love in East Asian Culture [M]
- ASIA/CHINESE/HUMANITY/JAPANESE 322: Ecology in East Asian Cultures [DIVR]
- ASIA/CHINESE 330: The Art of War [M]
- ASIA/HISTORY 373: Chinese Civilization [HUM]
- ASIA/HISTORY 374: Japanese Civilization [HUM]
- ASIA/HISTORY/POL S 475: Mao to Deng: The People’s Republic of China, 1949–Present
- ASIA/HISTORY/POL S 476: Revolutionary China, 1800 to Present [M]
- ASIA/HISTORY 477: Modern Japanese History [DIVR] [M]
Students who complete two semesters of foreign language beyond the one-year requirement may waive 3 credits required from ASIA 121, 275, 315, 374, 475, or 477.
Native speakers of an East Asian language may waive the foreign language requirement, but must take 8 additional hours of “cultural survey” courses (see department for an approved list).
Study abroad is encouraged, and appropriate credit toward completion of certificate will be accepted at the discretion of the Asia Program director.
No more than 4 hours earned at other institutions may apply towards the certificate, and no more than 4 hours may be taken pass/fail. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for successful completion of the certificate.